Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice in several areas, including immigration
7286322

I am a Canadian 68 years old living in Toronto and have a woman

Customer Question

I am a Canadian 68 years old living in Toronto and have a woman my age who lives in Florida and who I am very much in love with. I am retired and have no intentions of working again. I am a little confused with all of the rules about how long I can stay in the US. I know there is the 182 day rule. I have heard that the IRS works on a calendar year and US Homeland Security works on a rolling date to date year. I have also heard that if you are in the US for a number of months and leave for a week or so it still counts as being in the US. I can't find anywhere where this is clear. I see that if I leave Ontario for more than seven months I will loose my OHIP. I don't really want that to happen. I guess I really want someone to assure me of the actual rules and explain to me any options that I have. Would it be beneficial to immigrate to US or have some type of dual citizenship. I am sorry that this is so long, not sure if I am asking this to the correct site and please don't feel rushed to get back to me.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is Judith. Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions. I have 34 years experience as a licensed immigration attorney.
I cannot answer your questions regarding Canadian law. I am a US immigration law expert. Only a Canada Law expert can answer your questions about your Canadian benefits.
Also, you threw in a tax question, again only a tax expert can answer that.
If you would like me to answer your US immigration law questions, I am quite willing and able to do that.
Let me know.
Judith