Expert James
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Experience:  Write FOR JAMES to get my help!
23431962

Iam in H1B visa in US and i had a divorce last year.

Customer Question

Hi
Iam in H1B visa in US and i had a divorce last year. Iam getting married again on June. Both me and my future wife are divorcee.
My future wife during her first marriage travelled to US in H4 visa (in the year 2010). As per my understanding she has an ITIN number created during her stay and she does not know or remember her ITIN number. While filling out DS160 for her H4 form there is a section where i need to fill her SSN no or Tax payer no. I also have option “DOES NOT APPLY”
Can i select option "DOES NOT APPLY" for both SSN and Tax payer no. since she does not remember or can I get the same from IRS. Iam concerned this should not affect her VISA stamping.
One more question is what should I do after she comes here do I have to use the same ITIN number if I get that or do I need to apply for another one.
Please assist me with this issue. Also let me know if you need more details.
Thanks
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Expert James replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am James, and I will be helping you today. All I ask is that you give me a positive rating so I get credit for doing my job.
QUESTION: Can i select option "DOES NOT APPLY" for both SSN and Tax payer no. since she does not remember or can I get the same from IRS. I am concerned this should not affect her VISA stamping.
ANSWER: You must tell the truth. It does apply because she does have an ITIN. If she does not know it, then she needs to contact the IRS and find out what it is. IF they cannot find it, then they have to provide a letter stating it cannot be found. She needs to make the best efforts to answer all questions.
QUESTION: One more question is what should I do after she comes here do I have to use the same ITIN number if I get that or do I need to apply for another one.
ANSWER: Once she gets her green card, she can apply for a social security number.
I know these issues can be confusing. If you want to talk on the phone for a fee, I can send you an offer for that.
I hope I have answered your questions. Kindly rate my customer service with a positive rating so I get credit for doing my job. This is very important. You can do that by giving me 3 or more stars, or any of the smiling faces. And you can keep asking questions even after you have given a rating.
REMINDER: You are not rating the state of the law or the outcome of your situation, which I cannot control. You are rating my customer service. Believe me that I always want to give you good news. But if the outcome is not what you wanted, blame the government and the law, not me. I am only a messenger.
Negative ratings are reserved for Professionals who are rude or unprofessional. Giving me a negative rating does not help you get a different answer or outcome. So do not give a negative rating if you need more help, or if I misunderstood your question. Instead click REPLY so I can continue to assist you.
A BONUS is appreciated, if you feel I've earned it.
If you have questions in the future, write “FOR JAMES" in the question and I will be your personal Expert in this category.
Thank you!
Hi again,
I received a message that you reviewed my response and have responded. But I cannot see that response above.
Please post it again, so I can continue to help you.
Thank you!