Judith
Judith, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
12467490

Does a conviction , even if expunged, constitute a permanent bar to establishing

Customer Question

Does a conviction for arson, even if expunged, constitute a permanent bar to establishing good moral character for purposes of naturalization?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is Judith. Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions. I have 34 years experience as a licensed immigration attorney.
Nothing, not even murder is an absolute bar to naturalization based on a lack of good moral character.
Convicted murderers have been naturalized after providing convincing evidence of rehabilitation and contribution to the US with good works and community service.
The burden is on you to show you have reformed yourself and that you are making a positive contribution to the US.
I see this is the first time you are using JA and I am eager to make this a positive experience for you. Please ask follow-up questions if my answer is not clear.
Of course, I am sure you understand your positive rating is very important to me as we are not on salary and that is how we receive compensation, you choosing a smiley face, but more importantly, I want you to come back to the site for all your answers from over a 100 categories of experts!
In the future, you may begin your questions with “FOR JUDITH” and I will be your personal immigration expert.
Judith