Hello, my name is Judith. Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions. I have 34 years experience as a licensed immigration
1. Can I start the semester on 1st June on H4 visa and immediately apply for Change of Status to F1 at USCIS?
Yes, you can. School on an H4 should be incidental to being here accompanying your spouse and not engaged in full-time studies towards a degree program. But that is seldom enforced.
2. Should I file for Change of Status within US or file from India for F1?
COS will take 2.5 - 3 months. The sooner you have the F1 the better. Even for Master program you have to be F1 for 2 complete semesters.
3. Would it be an issue if I file for COS within US? Keeping 90 days period in between filing and start day of program mentioned on I20 i.e. 24th Aug.
You mean just file the COS and do nothing while still on the H4 status? That is what you are supposed to do.
4. What happens if I do not get COS to F1 from H4 by 24th of Aug.
You should plan ahead of that if you don't have it by Aug 10th to depart for visa stamping. You can make your visa stamping appointment from here before you leave.
5. Would it impact my OPT if I am not on F1 for an entire year?
Yes, I wondered why you didn't bring that up? You have to be on F1 for 2 semesters to qualify for OPT.
I am so tired. I will answer follow-up questions in the morning.
I see this is the first time you are using JA and I am eager to make this a positive experience for you. Please ask follow-up questions if my answer is not clear.
Of course, I am sure you understand your positive rating is very important to me as we are not on salary and that is how we receive compensation, you choosing a smiley face, but more importantly, I want you to come back to the site for all your answers from over a 100 categories of experts!
In the future, you may begin your questions with “FOR JUDITH” and I will be your personal immigration expert.