Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
9200179

I HAVE BEEN MARRIED TO MY US CITIZEN HUSBAND 1/2 YRS.

Customer Question

I HAVE BEEN MARRIED TO MY US CITIZEN HUSBAND FOR 3 1/2 YRS. WE BECAME DIVORCED ON THE 4TH YR. AM I ELIGIBLE NOW TO APPLY FOR CITIZENSHIP UNDER MY MARRIAGE TO US CITIZEN FOR 3 YRS?
Category: Immigration Law
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
or do I need to wait for my permanent residency to become 5 yrs. before I can apply for US Citizenship?
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer! My name is***** I am a licensed attorney and I am here to help resolve your legal issue. Tackling legal issues can sometimes get cumbersome or confusing. Should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know at any time during our question and answer session if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! You are NOT charged per question and you are NOT charged per response, so post at your desire! Just please remember that sometimes the law does not have an easy or convenient solution and that is not the fault of the expert. Please do not shoot the messenger.
The only way you can apply early through your marriage is if you were still married AND planning to stay together and build a life together (it isn't enough just to be married), OR you can prove that he physically abused you and you got your 10 year Residency through a Violence Against Women Act process or I-751 waiver through abuse. If you did not, then you have to wait until you have 4 years and 9 months of Residency status before you can apply for U.S. Citizenship. Also, if you filed for divorce soon after you got your 10 year, you my need to prove again that your marriage was real but just fell apart.
Now that I have given you an answer, you may rate me positively OR ask for additional information. Please do not rate me negatively for bad news or things that you may already know. That does not help you or me. I am here to help you and I am on your side. Give me a chance to help you. All you have to do is respond asking for additional information. You are NOT charged per question nor are you charged per response. If this seems a little complicated or overwhelming, I can also offer you an additional service for a small fee where we can speak in private over the phone or through email that may be helpful (this is a public forum where anyone can read the responses). Feel free to decline it, but if you do, please remember that I am not given a salary, so the only way that I am compensated is if you rate me positively. So at least please use the smiley faces and a bonus is always appreciated if you feel I earned it. Also, your question does NOT close just because it says, "To finish". I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge. If I do not hear from you, I will automatically send that additional offer request. Thank you for your understanding and if you would like to request me in the future, just type: FOR GUILLERMO in the subject line and message box.
Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!