Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice in several areas, including immigration
7286322

My Filipina maid had her handbag snatched and lost her passport

Customer Question

My Filipina maid had her handbag snatched and lost her passport too as it was in the bag. She has applied for a new passport but it will take 2-3 months before it is ready. Meanwhile, her work permit expires on June 1 2015. Should she continue to overstay until she gets her new passport and pay the RM30 a day fine? If she overstays and leaves with Special Pass (without her passport) will she be banned from returning and for how long? Or is it best for her to return before the expiry of her permit and then start the entire process of applying for a work permit when she gets her new passport? I am unclear on what to do despite going to the Philippines Embassy to get her Travel Document but nobody there wants to answer my questions.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Expert James replied 1 year ago.
This is not a US immigration question, is it?