Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice in several areas, including immigration
7286322

A woman is married to a USC and has a child on her own. If

Customer Question

A woman is married to a USC and has a child on her own. If this man has been abusive towards the child, can this child apply for VAWA? Or does the child have to be the child of the USC? In case the child qualifies because of the abuse, would the mother
automatically qualify for VAWA as well (because of her child)?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Jennifer Marie, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be the attorney helping you today. Yes, in this situation the child can apply for VAWA as long as the child's mother married the husband before the child turned 18 years old and the child is currently under 21 years old. The child does nto have to be the USC husband's biological child. The mother does qualify due to her child's abuse, but she would need to also submit her own application. Good luck to you during this process and I hope this answer has helped you!Please kindly remember to issue a POSITIVE RATING now before you leave this page by choosing the Happy faces. This is very important since it is how I receive credit for my service from what you paid. This question will NOT close after you rate me even though it says "To Finish..". So after rating me, feel free to ask me any follow up questions at no additional cost . Any bonus you wish to provide will be very appreciated.If you are not satisfied with my answer or if I did not understand your question correctly, please ask me for clarification instead of leaving a negative rating. A negative rating does not help you or me. Your satisfaction is my goal. If you have other NEW questions in the future, you can make sure that I answer it for you if you start your new question post with the words "FOR JENNIFER " or write it in the Subject Line.