How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Expert James Your Own Question
Expert James
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 11570
Experience:  Write FOR JAMES to get my help!
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Expert James is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I and my girlfriend plan to get married but we live in different

Customer Question

I and my girlfriend plan to get married but we live in different state. She is a US citizen and I'm a F1-student, could we be able to obtain a green card for me?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Expert James replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am James. I will be helping you today. I do not get a salary, so the only thing I ask is that you rate my customer service when we are finished. This is the only way I am compensated for my efforts to help you today. So please do not forget to do that. Also keep in mind that you are not rating the outcome of your question or the state of the law. I have no control over that so my rating should not be based on those things.I see that this may be the first time you are using this service. If you have any questions about how this process works or how to help me get credit for assisting you today, please feel free to ask. I would rather explain it to you than lose out on the credit for my efforts.Also, when you have new questions in the future, make sure to put “FOR JAMES" in your question and the subject line. That way I become your personal Expert.As to your question, yes, once you get married, your US citizen girlfriend can petition you for a green card based on marriage.After you get married, your wife will prepare and submit form I-130. You will prepare and submit form I-485. Each of those has supporting documents that will be needed.Here is a list of supporting documents for each of those forms, that you will need in order to have the best chance for a successful green card application process: is going to be important for you both to show that you have a life together, in order to show that it is a good faith marriage that would support his type of green card application. So if you do not live together in the same state when you file the green card application, you will really have to present a strong case that you have a good faith marriage despite the fact that you are living apart. So the more you can provide that shows a real marriage, the better the chances you will get approval of the green card.I know these issues can be confusing. If you want to discuss this or anything else by phone, I can send you an offer for that. There will be an additional fee, if you want to do that. Please let me know and I will send you the offer.I hope I have answered your questions. Kindly rate my customer service with a positive rating. I do not get a salary here and this is the only way I am compensated for my efforts. So please do not forget to do that before you log off. You can do that by giving me 3 or more stars, or any of the smiling faces. And you can continue to ask questions even after you have given a rating. Again, this is the ONLY way I get credit for helping you.REMINDER: You are not rating the state of the law or the outcome of your situation, which I cannot control. You are rating my customer service. Believe me that I always want to give you good news. But if the outcome is not what you wanted, blame the government and the law, not me. I am only a messenger.Negative ratings are reserved for Professionals who are rude or unprofessional. Giving me a negative rating does not help you get a different answer or outcome. So do not give a negative rating if you need more help, or if I misunderstood your question. Instead click REPLY so I can continue to assist you.A BONUS is appreciated, if you feel I've earned it.If you have questions in the future, write “FOR JAMES" in the question and I will be your personal Expert in this category.Thank you!

Related Immigration Law Questions