Expert James
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Experience:  Write FOR JAMES to get my help!

my son has lost his naturalization paper. I only have a copy

my son has lost his naturalization paper. I only have a copy of it, a copy of his birth certificate in Russian and an expired passport. what can he do to get a new naturalization paper? he doesn't have a driver's license either. he only has an expired s. Carolina identification card from when he was 17 (he's 23) and had all of his papers. can you help?
Hi there! Thank you for using this service. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll be helping you with your questions today.

I can help you but first please make sure you are familiar with how this service works. If you have any questions about it, I can answer them.

Your son can file form N-565, Application for Replacement Naturalization/Citizenship Certificate. You will need to provide photocopies of the passport, birth certificate (translated) and naturalization document.

You can find the form here:

I hope I have answered your questions. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my satisfactory customer service with a top-three rating, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you.

A bonus is appreciated, if you feel I've earned it.

If you require more information, please do not rate me. Instead click "Reply" to continue our conversation.

Thank you!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I don't have originals. I only have copies naturalization certificate and his birth certificate in Russian. Again copies. Will they accept those?

Yes, of course. If they only accepted originals, then there would be no reason for a person to apply for a replacement. Also, the instructions specifically say photocopies are fine. The USCIS does not want to risk losing originals.

The copies of all of these are fine. Make sure the birth certificate is translated.

Again, please remember I only get credit for helping you when you rate me positively, based on my professionalism and customer service. Thank you in advance!