How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Judith Ludwic Your Own Question
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 28672
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Judith Ludwic is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a friend in the Ukraine who I would like to get a passport

This answer was rated:

I have a friend in the Ukraine who I would like to get a passport and Visa for to come visit me, a citizen of the United States of America ! What do I need to do ??

Hello, my name is Judith. Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions.

There is nothing you need to do.

The visa applicant has the burden of proving they have compelling ties to the Ukraine that will draw them back after visiting the US.

The consul looks at their age and marital status, whether they hold a professional job and have been employed steadily for a significant period of time, whether they own or rent their residence and have other financial ties to Ukraine.

One of the reasons they have to show they have financial ties is to prove they have the ability to support themselves while in the US.

You can issue her an invitation letter and an Affidavit of Support. However, that would absolutely kill the visa application because the consul will assume this is a romantic relationship and she is coming here to look at marrying you. The appropriate visa to do that is the fiancé visa, not a visitor visa.

Most often gentlemen who have girlfriends abroad make the trip there to meet them because the visitor visa is refused. If the personal meeting goes well they come back and file for a fiancé visa.

Be careful sending her $800 in traveler checks because the visa most likely will be refused and she then has your $800. Of course, if you want to give her a gift of that $ and understand it most likely will be a loss to you, that is your option.


B1/B2 visa applicants must "demonstrate permanent employment,
meaningful business or financial connections, close family ties, or social or
cultural associations, which will indicate a strong inducement to return to the
country of origin."



Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Even if I give a letter stating that i will be financially responsible for their time in the USA and have given them a round trip airline ticket you still believe they will not be able to obtain a VISA ???

Especially, if they know she has a US citizen boyfriend they will refuse the visa. The reason is that many men use the internet to find a wife in Ukraine and Russia, as well as other foreign countries.

The consul will believe that once she gets here she will not go home. The Ukraine is an extremely poor country and there is no draw to her going back there to that poverty once she is here.

Even if you decide you don't want a relationship with her, you cannot force her onto an airplane.

She can leave you and find friends, etc., to live with until she finds a romantic relationship that works.

That is the way these things go.

I have been an immigration lawyer for 34 years and I see this day in and day out.

She has the burden of proving her life is so good in Ukraine she would not abandon it.


Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry ! One last question and what happens if she applies for the fiance visa instead of the visitor visa ???

She cannot apply for a fiancé visa. You have to do that. However, you cannot file that petition until you have had a personal meeting within 2 years of filing the petition. That is why most men make the trip to Eastern Europe to meet their foreign girlfriends.




Judith Ludwic and 5 other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Immigration Law Questions