Expert James
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in all aspects of immigration and nationality law.

I am a Ghanaian and I was traveling to Ghana. When I got to

I am a Ghanaian and I was traveling to Ghana. When I got to the airport they rejected my drivers license and they told me the only form id have to be my passport. Now that I have lost my passport, what are my options to go home. I came here as a student and even have my work authorization (OPT) which has my USCIS#. So what are my options. Thanks
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Expert James replied 5 months ago.
Hi there! Thank you for using this service. My name is XXXXX XXXXX X'll be helping you with your questions today.

For international travel, you require a passport recognized by the government you are traveling to. The airlines do not accept driver's licenses for international travel, since the government to which you are traveling will not accept a driver's license for entry. It is not a valid form of ID for Ghana.

So the only option you have is to get a new passport from the government of Ghana. Usually, for someone who is in the US, that requires you to contact the consulate or embassy of Ghana, here in the US. Here is the information for renewing your passport, provided by the Embassy of Ghana in the US: http://www.ghanaembassy.org/index.php?page=passports.

I hope I have answered your questions. If you need more help, please use the reply button to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my satisfactory customer service (not the outcome or the state of the law which I cannot control) with a top-three rating, as this is the only way I receive credit for assisting you.

A bonus is appreciated, if you feel I've earned it.

If you have immigration or TSA questions in the future, just click Ask Expert James a Question! and make sure you write "FOR JAMES" in the subject or at the beginning of your question. This is the only way to ensure that I will assist you.

Thank you!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

I understand that I need a password. Applying for a passport would be a long process. They require my birth certificate which I don't have. My question again is since I came here as a student and immigration has all my information, can I go to immigration and see if I can get an emergency traveling document. I have my USCIS.

Secondly, i can i demand that immigration deport me if they cannot help me out because i am now not suppose to be the US.

Thanks

Felix,

I'm very sorry but immigration does not control exits and the USCIS does not issue travel documents to let you out of the US and enter the foreign country.

If you are out of status and you want to be deported, you are welcome to contact ICE directly, for them to enforce the removal. You can find the nearest office to report yourself here: http://www.ice.gov/contact/ero/.

Please know that I always do my best to assist customers with coming up with a good solution to their situation. However from time to time, the law does not provide a good solution to every situation. I am only the messenger so please do not hold bad news against me.

Thank you!
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Experience: Experienced in all aspects of immigration and nationality law.