Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.

How important is it to acurately list the dates of all travel

How important is it to acurately list the dates of all travel outside the US since obtaining resident alien status?
I have resided here since 1987 (25yrs) and during that time have travelled out of the US on several occasions. The more recent occasions (last five years) are fairly easy to document because I have rentry stamps in my old UK passport and most of them were cruises. However I made several business and a few personal trips overseas in the 1990's and early 2000's but am unable to pin down the exact number and dates of those trips at this time. Is it acceptable to just say, for example,.....10 trips to `X 'country between 1993 and 1998 (days out of US approx 60)....?

Also where trips have been cruises are all of the countries visited be listed separately; or is it acceptable to just say e.g. 7 day cruise Caribbean Islands or 12 day cruise Italy and Greek Islands etc etc?
Hello and thank you for using our service. My name isXXXXX and I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help you. Believe me that I will try my best to give you a solution if one exists, but sometimes the law does not have a good one.

Since you became a Lawful Permanent Resident, did you have any trips that lasted longer than 180 days? Also, if you had many trips within a 12 month period, if you add them up, would they add up to 180 days or more? So for example, just to pick a year, maybe March 2002 until February 2003, a 12 month period, could you have had multiple trips that if you add them up were 180 days or more? So think about any 12 month period, doesn't have to be January to December, that you could have had many trips and see if any add up to 180 days or more.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have nevre had one trip which lasted 180 days and am pretty certain that in any 12 month period I have not aggregated as many as 180 days outside the US (probably no more than 50 at most).

Excellent! So there you have your answer. Now that you know what they are looking for and you are nowhere near that, this means that you don't have to be exactly accurate with all the trips. You can estimate because even if you are off by a few days or even weeks, it isn't something that they would be using to claim that you abandoned your Residency or that you interrupted your Residency period for Naturalization purposes. So get as close as you can to your travel dates and then write a simple cover letter that explains that your many of your dates are estimates. You can even state in which years they are estimates. And yes, it is ok to state Caribbean islands and Greek islands, etc. Just that at the interview, if you can, have the details of those trips handy in case the officer asks for more specific details as to which countries in those areas you visited.

Please let me know if you have additional questions and please do not forget to rate my service to you (not the state of the law) as that is the only way that I can get credit for my assistance to you. Even after you rate the service, I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge. If you do rate me positively, a bonus is always appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future, just go to and make sure you type: FOR GUILLERMO on the subject line. Thank you!