Judith, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.

If I apply for an F1 visa to take a 3 year course of study

If I apply for an F1 visa to take a 3 year course of study to Bachelors level in USA, it seems that I have to provide proof of funds for the 1st year only. Does this mean I have to have a return ticket back to my country and depart USA at the end of the 1st year studies, and then reapply for the 2nd year studies the same way as I applied for the first year?

Hello, my name is Judith. Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions.

No, not at all.

You have to be able to show evidence that you can pay for the first year tuition and related school fees and living expenses. It is assumed you will be able to come up with the funds for the 3 years total. However, you only have to show evidence of being able to pay for the 1st year. No return ticket is required.

You will receive an I-20 for the 3 years it is anticipated it will take to complete your program of studies.