Judith
Judith, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
12467490

I recently changed status from F1 to H1B but lack the energy

I recently changed status from F1 to H1B but lack the energy to complete my degree now that I am working. Can a non completion of my degree undermine future requests for H1B extension or green card application? What legal risk am I taking by not completing my degree?

Hello, my name is Judith. Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions.

You needed to meet the requirements of the degree for your H1B. USCIS was satisfied with your credentials at the time you applied for the COS.

Therefore, if you had the minimum requirements at the time the H1B was approved it will not impact your H1B if you do not continue your education.

Judith

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you Judith for this answer. Would there be a reference to the fact that I did not complete my degree when I later on apply for a green card? In other word, could I be subject to green card denial for not completing the education requirement under my F1 status?

Do you have at least the equivalent of a US bachelor degree to meet the requirement of the H1B or if you were under the master cap do you have the equivalent of that?

Judith

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am holding a Bachelor and Master from a US university

Then there is no problem, you don't have to complete your program of study under the F1.

Judith