Judith, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.

Hi, I have a cousin who is an American citizen but lives abroad,

Hi, I have a cousin who is an American citizen but lives abroad, her son is a citizen of an EU country. Can she move here with her son so that the son would have legal residence and would he be eligible for public school enrollment? Thanks.

Hello, my name is Judith. Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions.

How old is her son?

Was she a citizen when her son was born?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Her son is 14 I think. Yes she has been a US citizen since birth after her mother who was a US citizen, but my cousin has never had residence in the US. (She was born and she grew up in Austria, her son was born there as well)

There is a USCIS office at the US Embassy in Austria where she can file the I-130 for her son. Since the minor child of a US citizen does not have to wait for a visa number he can get his resident status in 3-5 months.

He would then be eligible to come to the US with his mother and go to school here at resident rates.