Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
9200179

I am filing I 751 - Petition to remove conditions on residence.

1. Affidavits sworn to or affirmed by at least 2 people - 1) do those 2 people need to be U.S. citizens? 2) do these affidavits need to be notarized?

2. My current permanent resident card expires on 11/30/2013. I need to go to Europe on 11/15/2013 and come back on 11/30/2013. What do I need to do if the Notice of Acceptance does not come before I leave the U.S. on 11/15/2013? I live in Mountain View, Santa Clara County, California.

Guillermo J. Senmartin, E :

Hello and thank you for using our service. My name isXXXXX and I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help you. Believe me that I will try my best to give you a solution if one exists, but sometimes the law does not have a good one.

Guillermo J. Senmartin, E :

When do you plan to file the I-751?

Customer:

As soon as possible, shooting for tomorrow.

Guillermo J. Senmartin, E :

Then I believe you have a good chance to get the I- 797C receipt notice before you leave on your trip. If you do not, you can have it forwarded to you scanned and emailed or faxed to you before the 30th.

Guillermo J. Senmartin, E :

If you do not get it back before the 30th, you are still good to come back in because the expiration date is on the 30th.

Guillermo J. Senmartin, E :

If you came the day after, then they would detain you, screen you, but eventually, when they discover that the I-751 has been filed, they will let you in.

Guillermo J. Senmartin, E :

They should be under orders not to screw around too much in this regard. Why?

Guillermo J. Senmartin, E :

Because the government is low on money.

Guillermo J. Senmartin, E :

And they should not be wasting time, effort, resources and above all, money on submitting a case to immigration court for removal when it would easily be cleared up at the port of entry.

Guillermo J. Senmartin, E :

As to your other questions....

Guillermo J. Senmartin, E :

The affidavits do not have to be by U.S. Citizens nor even U.S. Lawful Permanent Residents and no, they do not have to be notarized, but I will tell you that if I was a USCIS officer, I would want to see more than 1 or 2 letters, at least some from U.S. Citizens and U.S. Lawful Permanent Residence, and at least some that were signed, notarized and maybe with photocopies of drivers licenses or U.S. passports, etc. to prove that they are real people. Those would be the best letters/affidavits.

Customer:

wow, your answers are great. thank you I really appreciate them.

Customer:

just one last question: if I don't receive the receipt notice before I leave on my trip, how do I get it forwarded to me scanned and emailed or faxed to me? Who should I contact?

Guillermo J. Senmartin, E :

Thank you. XXXXX meant that there would be someone at home checking your mail, then they could forward it to you.The other solution would be to hire an attorney then that person would also get a copy and could forward it to you, but that may be a little too expensive if you are doing all of the work yourself, though you might be able to negotiate the price because of that.

Guillermo J. Senmartin, E :

Please let me know if you have additional questions and please do not forget to rate my service to you (not the state of the law) as that is the only way that I can get credit for my assistance to you. Even after you rate the service, I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge. If you do rate me positively, a bonus is always appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future, just go to http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-guillermosenmartin/ and make sure you type: FOR GUILLERMO on the subject line. Thank you!