Judith, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.

Hi, I am a US Citizen and filed 2 separate I-130 petitions

Hi, I am a US Citizen and filed 2 separate I-130 petitions for my parents in Vietnam. I received both I-797C notice that they received them. I looked in the box on the notice of action where it says PREFERENCE CLASSIFICATION and listed 201 B INA PARENT OF USC. What does it mean? My petitions have priority date April 10, 2013. I wonder what is the processing time right now.
Thank you.

Hello, my name is Judith. Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions.

201(B) is the section of the Immigration and Nationality Act for the Immediate Relative visa classification for parents of a US citizen.

This category is not subject to any visa number quotas and that is why you don't find this category on the visa bulletin.

A visa number is XXXXX available for this category of beneficiaries so there is no wait for a current priority date.

This is sometimes confusing because the USCIS fills in the priority date blank on the I-797C but it does not mean anything.

So your parents petition will take approximately 3-5 months to be approved and then it is transferred to the NVC - National Visa Center.

In approximately 2-3 weeks they will send you a bill for
the immigrant visa fee $230 and your Affidavit of Support (I-864) $88. = each

Once you pay these you will receive instruction on submitting the I-864 for each and they will get their instructions on beginning the immigrant visa process by submitting
the DS-230 Immigrant Visa Application.

After that is received the DOS will request their background/security check be
done by the FBI.

When the clearance on them is received their file is forwarded to the US Embassy in Vietnam.

They will then receive her instructions for their medical and visa

They will be told what documentation to bring.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It has been over 6 months since they sent out the receipt notice. I checked on the website that it's still under initial review. The receipt number for both petitions start with MSC and a series of numbers. I am not sure if it makes any difference with the MSC abbreviation. Also It is difficult to find the right option after calling their 1-XXX-XXX-XXXX. The only way I was able to talk to them is pressing their option about reporting something wrong with their website. Is there a way to contact them, an email for example?

There is no email contact, unfortunately.

However, I have a better alternative for you.

You need to contact your US Senator's office. They have a special person who handles immigration matters and they can send a congressional inquiry. Both of your Senators, Boxer and Feinstein are very proactive with their voters. You are the one who keeps them in office and gives them their job. Part of their job is to help you when you get stuck with the government.

So don't be afraid to be pushy with them. Call them and if you don't get results, keep calling them!

They work for you. That is their job, to make you want to vote for them.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

There is a form on the link you provided for immigration question for Senator Feinstein

I have a question under section 1A where it says Alien Registration Number of the petitioner. I have been a US citizen since I filed form I-130 (I was a permanent resident before). So, what should put?

2)For section 1C where it says

(Please circle appropriate service center)

California Nebraska Texas Vermont National Benefits Center.

I sent my forms to

ATTN: I-130

PO Box 21700

Phoenix, AZ 85036

Where should I select on the form?

Thanks for the fast response.

put "USC"

Circle National Benefits Center.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I would also like to send questions to INS regarding my petitions. What address should I send to and what form to fill out?

Are immigration lawyers going through the same process to inquire about case status, etc through Senators or calling INS? Do INS have preference in answering lawyers questions vs petitioners? What are the "right questions" to ask them to get them willingly answer and follow up with my questions? Also are there any confirmation number once I talk to INS officers so I can follow up?

Just for my info.

Thanks and have a good nite.

You would have to send a letter of inquiry asking for a status on the case and why it is taking so long. You send it to the service center address on your I-797C receipt.

Lawyers who belong to the American Immigration Lawyers Association do have special contacts through our liaison members.

Lawyers also do use the Senator's offices for congressional inquiries.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Just another question; on the outside of the envelop do I need to indicate Attention to??

Also, I read the form I-797C at the bottom it says "Please note that if a priority date is printed on this notice, the priority does not reflect earlier retained priority dates" What does it mean?

That statement at the bottom only means that if another petition was filed earlier and the beneficiary falls under the preference system subject to visa quotas the earlier petition priority date is not on this I-797C.

You are asking questions that are going to end up adding to your confusion. It does not apply to you.

No you don't need to put any Attention on the envelope, the mailroom will route it to your file.