How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 101732
Experience:  Private practice in several areas, including immigration
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

One of my friends is living in India.. He is a USC and will

This answer was rated:

One of my friends is living in India.. He is a USC and will file an I-130 petition for his daughter.

My question is whether my friend living in India can file an I-130 petition for his daughter or he must be present in the U.S.
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

Your friend does NOT have to be living in the USA to file an I-130 for an immediate relative, provided that he is a US Citizen. Of so, he can file from abroad.

The I-130 petition would still be filed in the same manner however, with USCIS to an address in the USA. Some (many) US Consulates/Embassies allow a "direct filing" to the consulate/embassy for extreme/expedient cases, but it is on a case by case basis and depends on the US Consulate/Embassy. See here. This would be up to the nearest consulate/embassy whether or not they would agree to do this.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Good luck.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE and submit your rating when we are finished.
Ely and 2 other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Immigration Law Questions