Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.

I have a question. Im married to my wife who is an American

I have a question. Im married to my wife who is an American citizen, we both live and study in China. We got married here, and also have the wedding reception here in China. My question is that: I have applied for an american visa before in Nigeria, I applied for student visa 5 good times and all the application was turned down, after which I won a visa lottery and applied again. All the whole process of applying for american visa, my visa was turned down... Which makes it 6 times as a whole. We filed for the I-130, Thou I have alot to proof that its a genuine marriage. We both spent our honeymoon in France and Austria which i have the whole proof with me showing pics of each places. Thou the marriage ceremony the family did not attend and my family never attended as well. But I have met the family member when they came to china for a visit in may. Please is there any chances of my past denial affecting my I-130 visa approval.

Your reply will be highly appreciated.
King Obi
Hello. Thank you for using our service. What was the reason that you kept being denied?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The reason was that I have not proved that i will return back to my country after my period of studies. I did proved it with a land document my father transferred to me which was in my name and also have shares from different banks in Nigeria. For the visa lottery, the denial was that i didn't meet the labor requirement.

Then I have good news for you. The I-130 does not have an education or work experience requirement nor does it have the requirement to have non-immigrant intent. So your I-130 should be approved as long as you have no crimes in your background and you can prove that your relationship is real and your spouse can prove that they make enough money to support you or if not, that they have a Joint Sponsor that can serve as a guarantee that you will not become a public charge. So you should be ok.

Please let me know if you have additional questions and please do not forget to rate my service to you (not the state of the law) as that is the only way that I can get credit for my assistance to you. Even after you rate the service, I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge. If you do rate me positively, a bonus is always appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future, just go to and make sure you type: FOR GUILLERMO on the subject line. Thank you!