Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...

Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
9200179

Hello, my wife (the petitioner and US citizen) and I (a Canadian

Hello, my wife (the petitioner and US citizen) and I (a Canadian citizen) have waited exactly 3 yrs (to the day!) for the second interview. For three years exactly, they've been telling us, they "need to investigate further". In three years one can investigate "a small nation" if I'm not mistaken... Does that mean, it's a "follow up interview" or rather the infamous, so called, "Stokes interview" - or what is it? My wife and I are both equally exhausted and very nervous about the whole process and the real possibility of failing "Stokes" style interview, just by possibly making a couple of minor mistakes; all after waiting for such a long time...It almost seems absurd, but a real possibility, right? Thank you for any real advice in this matter
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for using our service. My name isXXXXX and I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help you. Believe me that I will try my best to give you a solution if one exists, but sometimes the law does not have a good one.

She age difference is not that large, but it may be a red flag to them. Did you ever apply for a U.S. immigration benefit before? Have you already been scheduled for interview or are you still waiting?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi, yes I did in 1998. My ex-wife no.3 was a US citizen. Following the break up that union 2 yrs. later in 2000, the application to change (my) status was withdrawn and I went back to live in Canada. Back then we did not even make it to the first interview. This time around we are scheduled for a second interview exactly 3 years later after the first one. We don't know what to expect, hearing those horrible stories floating around...

That's probably what they wanted to look into. They really want to make sure that the relationship is real, that the last one was also not a ploy to try to get Residency. Here is a list of the things that I give my clients that they can and should take to the interview:

A letter where you describe, in a very detailed fashion, the circumstances in which you met your spouse, the reasons you married, and the feelings and emotions that you have towards your spouse, and why.
If you have a child or children together, the birth certificate for each child.
Wedding pictures and pictures of other moments when you and your spouse, and other members of your families and friends have been together.
Very detailed letters from people who know you and your spouse and who are witnesses that your marriage was valid, who were at your wedding, or who knew you as a married couple.
Love letters or cards that you received from your spouse while in the relationship.
Letters from people addressed to both you and your spouse, or in which the person who wrote the letter refers to both of you as a couple.
Any types of documents that have both your names on them that show that you bought a car, a house, furniture, or anything else together.
Any rental or lease agreements for your home or apartment with both of your names on it or a letter from the building manager or owner proving that you lived together.
Bank or financial statements that show that you had or have a savings or checking account together.
Any insurance documents that show that you were or still are covered by your spouse's insurance plan, or that your plan covers or covered him or her.
Bills, such as electricity, water, heat, cable TV, phone, or others that show both you and your spouse's names.
Jointly-filed Income tax papers (both your names).
An identification card that shows that you use your spouse's last name.
Membership cards for video clubs, grocery stores or similar businesses, that show joint membership.
Any other documents that prove your relationship.

The more you have, the better it is. I know you will not have all of them, but keep in mind that there is usually not one piece of evidence that will win the case for you. Just like usually, if you mess up in one or two questions, they aren't going to deny you either. I assume you already have sample Stokes interview questions that you can study. If you do not, let me know. I will provide a few, though they are links to things you can readily find online. Don't worry too much. If the relationship is real, if you have good, strong and voluminous evidence, then you should be ok

Please let me know if you have additional questions and please do not forget to rate my service to you (not the state of the law) as that is the only way that I can get credit for my assistance to you. Even after you rate the service, I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge. If you do rate me positively, a bonus is always appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future, just go to http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-guillermosenmartin/ and make sure you type: FOR GUILLERMO on the subject line. Thank you!

Experience: 10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.