Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.

I completed my opt on Aug 13th 2013 after my masters, i am

I completed my opt on Aug 13th 2013 after my masters, i am currently on my 60 day grace period well i'm not anymore, 4 days over on my 60 day grace period. I applied for college because i want to do a second masters, it would be cheaper for me to take a few classes in a college and finish off with a graduate school. I got accepted on October 2nd 2013, i was still on my 60 day grace period. I thought i was fine, not doing anything illegal until today, imagine my surprise when the college i applied for, tells me i have fallen out of status and need to apply for reinstatement of F1 status with the USCICS Before they can issue out an i20 to me. so now i'm lost, i really dont want any problems with dhs and i realize they can deny this reinstatement. What are my chances? i have to write a personal statement explaining what happened and what my future plans are and so forth but im just really in a panic that they will deny it.
Hello and thank you for using our service. My name isXXXXX and I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help you. Believe me that I will try my best to give you a solution if one exists, but sometimes the law does not have a good one.

I'm sorry that you are having this issue. U.S. immigration law is very complicated. To be reinstated, you have to prove that it was something beyond your control. If you cannot prove that, then you would have to leave the U.S. as quickly as possible and apply to come back in on an F-1 visa. The faster you do that, the better chance you have. Because you would hopefully leave before you have 180 days of being out of status, you would have no automatic penalty to come back. Here is a link:

So try for the reinstatement as quickly as possible and if it fails, then leave the U.S. as quickly as possible to have the best chance of coming back.

Please let me know if you have additional questions and please do not forget to rate my service to you (not the state of the law) as that is the only way that I can get credit for my assistance to you. Even after you rate the service, I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge. If you do rate me positively, a bonus is always appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future, just go to and make sure you type: FOR GUILLERMO on the subject line. Thank you!