Judith, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.

My wife and I are going on a Caribbean cruise in 3 weeks and

My wife and I are going on a Caribbean cruise in 3 weeks and she just realized that her Green Card is expired. My wife does has a valid German passport. What is the best course of action at this time.

Hello, my name is Judith. Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions.

Does she have the 10 year card?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes she does, it expired January 2012.

OK, she may travel with the expired I-551 but she has to first file the I-90 electronically.

She carries that receipt with her and her valid passport, expired I-551 and fee receipt will allow her re-entry.

She can also make an infoPass appointment with USCIS and get a temporary I-551 stamp in her passport, taking her expired card, the receipt from the filing of the I-90 to the USCIS office.