Expert James
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Experience:  Write FOR JAMES to get my help!

Hi, I was out of status in December 2010 for one month and

Hi, I was out of status in December 2010 for one month and was re-instated approval came back in May 2011. I gained H1B VISA and currently working for a company. Now my company is willing to file for my GC. I heard reinstatement causes I-485 denial. Is this true?
Hi there! Thank you for using this service. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll be helping you with your questions today.

Reinstatement of what? F-1 status?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Why did you fall out of status in the first place? Why did you require reinstatement?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

• I dropped one course for one semester

• Did not work anywhere illegally and maintained lawful status before and after that particular semester

• Got my OPT EAD in August 2011

• Got my H1B in June 2012

I'm a little concerned about hat you are hearing. Or maybe I'm missing something. Where did you hear that your Adjustment would be denied if you were reinstated to F-1 status previously?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I read some posts on some websites, in-fact some schools that say that out of status causes ineligibility for AOS.

You are right, if you are out of status, you can't adjust your status in most cases. But when you were reinstated, you got back into status, and therefore are eligible to apply for adjustment of status.

You should be careful of believing or relying too much on message boards. Sometimes people don't explain that their situation is completely different that yours, so you should not always believe what you read, or think that your situation is exactly the same.

Yes, you were out of status; but you had that reinstated. If you did not, then you would not have been eligible to change your status to H1B either.

There is no such restriction on adjustment of status if you have previously been reinstated. Only if you are out of status now would this be a problem. If you want to send me to some of those sites to look at and see what they say, I can do that. But I do not believe you have anything to worry about.

I hope I have answered your questions. If you need more help, please use the reply button to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my satisfactory customer service (not the outcome or the state of the law which I cannot control) with a top-three rating, as this is the only way I receive credit for assisting you.

A bonus is appreciated, if you feel I've earned it.

If you want me to answer questions in the future, just go to Ask Expert James an Immigration Question! and make sure you write "FOR JAMES" in the subject or at the beginning of your question. This is the only way to ensure that I will assist you.

Thank you!