Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
9200179

Hello, I am an american citizen and I wanted to get a passeport

I am an american citizen and I wanted to get a passeport to travel abroad. However, 2 weeks after I applied, I received a letter saying they wanted 5 additional identification documents from 5 or more years ago. Do you know why? And also what could I provide? I did not worked or had a driver license, or went in the army or had a utility bill at my name 5 years ago so I do not know which document to use to prove it is me.
Hello and thank you for using our service. My name isXXXXX and I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help you. Believe me that I will try my best to give you a solution if one exists, but sometimes the law does not have a good one.

You were born in the U.S.? If so, were you born in a hospital? Which? Perhaps they are questioning your U.S. Citizenship.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, I was born in an hospital in Mercer County PA and they have no reasons to question my citizenship. Both my parents were American and I naver left the country of my whole life.

Ok. This is very strange then. Where exactly did you apply for the passport? Can you tell me exactly what the letter says that they sent you?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

At the post office. The form says to submit photocopies of five (5) or more personal documents, which are five (5) years or older. They said the identification I provided is not sufficient. I sent a birth certificate and a copy of my ID, which is all the post office said was required.

And this is only the first time you have applied, correct?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes it is.

Well, let me check a few things because I cannot find where 5 pieces of evidence are required and that they be older than 5 years. What is your zip code?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

15213

Ok. Just wanted to check which were the post offices that you could go to in that area. So you submitted a birth certificate and your drivers license? Was the birth certificate a certified copy? And did you also submit anything else like a social security card?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I did not submit a social security card and I did not certified the birth certificate. I asked the post office guy if he needed my social security card and he answered no. Also he told me that I did not needed to have my birth certificate certified. But if they want additional documents it is ok. I just need to know what kind of documents they would accept. As I told you, I did not worked or had a driver license, or went in the army or had a utility bill at my name 5 years ago.

You mean to say that you do not have a drivers license now? What is your age?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am 28 and not everyone has a driver license, even when they are older. I never had a driver license.

Then it is a combination of things. You are right, not everyone has a drivers license, but that is the most common form of ID. Since you do have it, they are asking for secondary evidence and perhaps a certified birth certificate isn't necessary, but I think it will help in your case. I think you should get a certified birth certificate, you should probably get a license and submit that, if you don't want to, that's fine, but you should submit other things like maybe a social security card and maybe even an identifying witness. Here is an official link:

http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/secondary_evidence/secondary_evidence_4314.html

The problem is that after 9/11, they are being much more careful in issuing any types of IDs and especially U.S. Passports. So get yourself a certified copy of the birth certificate and add IDs from that secondary list.

Please let me know if you have additional questions and please do not forget to rate my service to you (not the state of the law) as that is the only way that I can get credit for my assistance to you. Even after you rate the service, I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge. If you do rate me positively, a bonus is always appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future, just go to http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-guillermosenmartin/ and make sure you type: FOR GUILLERMO on the subject line. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok. So if I bring my mother with me and she is a citizen and testifies that she knows me it will be fine ...

I think you may need a little bit more than that, but it is a start. Don't focus on that one thing and ignore everything else that I said. Keep ALL of that in mind and then I think everything will be fine. Please let me know if you have additional questions and please do not forget to rate my service to you positively as that is the only way that I can get credit for my assistance. Even after you rate the service, I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge. And don't forget that bonuses are always appreciated! Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok. Thank you very much for your help and your patience. The official link from http://travel.state.gov you sent me definitely helped me to understand the situation better. I will let you know if I have additional questions. Again, thanks a lot.

You are very welcome. Please do not forget to rate me positively. As I do not receive a salary, it is the only way that I get credit for my service to you. You are not charged again and I will not abandon you after you rate me positively if you have additional questions. Thank you.
Thank you for the excellent rating. If you would like to request me in the future, remember to put my name on the subject line. Good luck to you!