Expert James
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in all aspects of immigration and nationality law.
23431962

came with a visa from costa rica 13 years ago, as a minor,and

Customer Question

came with a visa from costa rica 13 years ago, as a minor,and graduated from high school in NJ. now i have two usa born children. can i fix my status?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Expert James replied 11 months ago.
Hi there! Thank you for using this service. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll be helping you with your questions today.

I just need to clarify a few things - did you marry a US citizen? How old are the children? On what status did you enter the US - F1 status?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Im not married to a us citizen. my children are 3 and 5 years old. i came here with a tourist visa

Okay Dayana. Thanks for the information. It might take a while to compose an answer for you. Please be patient as I do so. Thank you!
Hi Dayana,

Thanks for your continued patience. It is much appreciated.

However unfortunately, I do not have very good news to share at this time.

Unfortunately, there is no way for you to become legal right now because you are out of status. The only option available would be if you married a US citizen, or wait until one of your children turns 21 and sponsors you for a green card.

Your options are quite limited for any relief:

Option 1) Have an employer file an employment-based immigrant petition on your behalf. If approved, you would have to leave the US and process back in legally. The big problem with this is that if you leave the US now, you will be subject to a ban from re-entering the US for quite some time, due to your unlawful presence in the US. The only way to get around this ban is if you can show that your US citizen children will suffer extreme hardship if you are not allowed to re-enter sooner. Note that this is not just an emotional or financial hardship. It is more like one of them has a medical conditions and they need you to attend to them for their well-being.

Also note that you might not be eligible to come back with the employment-based visa until one becomes available, which can take a few years.

Option 2) You wait until one of your US citizen children turns 21 years old, and then they sponsor you for an immediate relative green card and adjustment of status.

Option 3) Marry a US citizen who sponsors you for a green card.

Option 4) Wait until the law changes (remaining int he US illegally), and hope that any new laws cover your current situation.

I'm very sorry. But these are your only options. Please know that I always do my best to help customers come up with a good solution, but from time to time, the law does not provide a good solution to every situation. Please do not hold bad news against me by giving me a negative rating.

I hope I have answered your questions. If you need more help, please use the reply button to continue our conversation.

If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my satisfactory customer service (not the outcome or the state of the law which I cannot control) with a top-three rating, as this is the only way I receive credit for assisting you.

A bonus is appreciated, if you feel I've earned it.

If you want me to answer questions in the future, just go to Ask Expert James an Immigration Question! and make sure you write "FOR JAMES" in the subject or at the beginning of your question. That is the only way to ensure that I will assist you.

Thank you!
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Experience: Experienced in all aspects of immigration and nationality law.

Hi Dayana,

I just want to follow up with you about another possible option, but one that will bring you to the attention of the USCIS.

There is something called deferred action for childhood arrivals. It requires that you entered the US as a child, before the age of 16; that you are in at least high school or have a high school diploma or equivalent in the US; that you were under the age of 31 on June 15, 2012; you have continuously resided in the US since June 15, 2007, up to the present time; you were physically present in the United States on June 15, 2012; and at the time of making your request for consideration of deferred action with USCIS and that you have not been convicted of a felony, significant misdemeanor, three or more other misdemeanors, and do not otherwise pose a threat to national security or public safety.

A successful application will permit you to work and remain in the US legally, for up to 2 years, and can be renewed indefinitely. However it also brings you to the attention of the USCIS, and can potentially be a problem, if something more permanent is not passed into law.

Here is information on this process, commonly referred to as DACA: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=f2ef2f19470f7310VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=f2ef2f19470f7310VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD#guidelines

I hope I have answered your questions. If you need more help, please use the reply button to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my satisfactory customer service (not the outcome or the state of the law which I cannot control) with a top-three rating, as this is the only way I receive credit for assisting you.

If you want me to answer questions in the future, just go to AskCustomeran Immigration Question! and make sure you write "FOR JAMES" in the subject or at the beginning of your question. This is the only way to ensure that I will assist you.

Thank you!