Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...

Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
9200179

Hello Lawyer, I am already got my asylum approved, can I apply

Customer Question

Hello Lawyer,
I am already got my asylum approved, can I apply to Diversity visa program (lottery green card) or not?
I know you would say that I am already would get my green card after one year from the date of the asylum granted.
but I want to apply to the lottery green card just in case if my asylum is cancelled due to change in my country situations.
so can I apply to the lottery green card while I am an asylee.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for using our service. My name isXXXXX and I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help you. Believe me that I will try my best to give you a solution if one exists, but sometimes the law does not have a good one.

Yes, you can apply, but if you win, you have to still be legally in the U.S. at the time that you apply for Adjustment of Status because if you are not, then you would have to leave the U.S. and apply from outside and if you have more than 1 year of being out of status, it would be a 10 year bar to coming back to the U.S.

Please let me know if you have additional questions and please do not forget to rate my service to you positively (not the state of the often unjust laws which I have no control over) as that is the only way that I can get credit for my assistance to you. Even after you rate the service, I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge. If you feel I have earned one, bonuses are always appreciated. To request me in the future, make sure you type: FOR GUILLERMO on the subject line. Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Actually I would be eligible to apply to green card next year. So in case if I applied to lottery green card, this would not affect my asylum?
No, it would not affect the Asylum grant. Please let me know if you have additional questions and please do not forget to rate my service to you positively as that is the only way that I can get credit for my assistance. Even after you rate the service, I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge. And don't forget that bonuses are always appreciated! Thank you.
Experience: 10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My wife got the asylum through my asylum application, this mean that I am the main Asylee and she is a derivative, can she travel to our home country and return to US after she would get her green card?
No, she cannot. If she does that, she can put her status and your status in danger. If you get Residency through Asylum, neither of you will be able to travel back to your home country until you become U.S. Citizens which would be 4 to 5 years later.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So if I want to travel to another country
(NOT my home country) after I would get my green card, what kind of document I need to travel, I mean can I use my passport + green card for traveling to another country?
You would file an I-131 Travel Document application and get that approved. Also, don't try to go to a third country and then travel to your country from that third country. The U.S. may still find out. So be careful.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So there is no need for using my passport for traveling after I would get my green card right?
If you get Asylum, you should never use the passport from your country again until maybe after you get U.S. Citizenship. To come back into the U.S. you only need your green card. To get into another country, you will need a Travel Document since you cannot use your country's passport anymore.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But how can I get a visa to enter another country without a passport?
You use the Travel Document given to you by the U.S. after you apply for it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This mean I mead to use travel document + green card while I am traveling outside the US. And there is a need for a visa to go to another country or the travel document would be enough?
Essentially yes. At to whether or not you will need a visa to enter a different country, that you have to contact the embassy of that country to find out as that is not a U.S. immigration question.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So can I get a visa by the travel document? And do I need to use the travel document after I Would get my green card? I mean can travel another country with green card only
You apply for the Travel Document first. After you get it, then you can contact the embassy of the country you wish to travel and ask them if you need a visa and if you do, you can get that visa stamped in the Travel Document.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And after getting the green card there is a need for the travel document for traveling?
It depends on the country you will travel to. That's what I keep trying to tell you. You have to ask the embassy of the country you will travel to. Sorry.