Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
12467490

Where can I get a temporary evidence of permanent residency

Where can I get a temporary evidence of permanent residency while waiting for my green card renewal?

Hello, my name is Judith. Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions.

I am perplexed.

Did you go to

http://infopass.uscis.gov/

And you could not get an appointment at any field office in SO Ca?

Judith

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes. I tried InfoPass. I also called back the USCIS rep. who told me she had no access or was not able to make an appo. for me.

But actually you can travel with your expired I-551. You can board a plane with an expired card and when you return present your expired card with the receipt for the I-90 to the inspector at your port of entry.

http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/87519.pdf

Page 3:

9 FAM 42.1 N1.2-5 Expired 10-year Form I-551, Permanent Resident Card

(CT:VISA-1173; 03-30-2009)

No visa and no transportation letter is required if the alien is in possession of an expired Form I-551, Permanent Resident Card, provided the card was issued with a ten year expiration date.

And this is from the Customs website

If the I-551 is lost or expires during a trip out of the U.S., you will have to obtain a new one upon re-entry - and this can take quite a while - so plan accordingly. This process entails filling out a form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident and paying the $365 base fee and biometric fee of $85. Please be aware that if your travel plans include air travel, many airlines will not board passengers with an expired green card - unless they have a Notice of Action (Form I-797) verifying that they have applied to replace it - in addition to the expired card, and - depending on where you are going, an unexpired passport.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/75/~/lpr--lost,-stolen-or-expired-green-cards-or-has-no-expiration-date

Judith

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I do have the 10-year card.

Just to confirm. I just need to show my "expired" 10-year green card and the confirmation receipt (I e-filed Form I-90) to the immigration officer at the airport when I return to the US? I do not need to visit the local USCIS office to have my passport stamped to show the temproray evidence of my status?

That is correct.

I gave you two references, one from the Dept of State and the other from the Customs and Border Patrol websites.

Judith

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I guess I do not know what the airlines need as opposed to the immigration officer who may allow me to enter the US with the expired green card.

What is Form I-797?

many airlines will not board passengers with an expired green card - unless they have a Notice of Action (Form I-797) verifying that they have applied to replace it - in addition to the expired card,

The Fee receipt you received from USCIS says I-797 on it Notice of Action which verifies you have filed to replace your expired card.

Judith

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I just re-read the e-Filing confirmation receipt which says I will recept an official Recept Notice (Form I-797) by mail. It has a different name but the same form number, so I assume that's what I need to bring with me for the airlines.

Thanks!

Correct.

Judith