Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice in several areas, including immigration

Hi Ely. I was admitted to hospital in Las Vegas 2 years

Hi Ely.

I was admitted to hospital in Las Vegas 2 years ago.

The hospital bill totalled $30,000 that they tried to recover from me on my return back to my home in Spain using a debt collection agency in Switzerland.

I passed the issue onto my insurance company who refused to pay the bill. I am still in court with them over the matter as I was fully insured but they are refusing payment on a technicality over me not phoning them personally to inform them of my admission to hospital.

My question is this, will I have a problem re-entering the United States because i have a debt with the hospital? I am flying into New York and then onto Las Vegas.
Hello friend,

Thank you for requesting me.

The answer is no. Unlike many countries, USA immigration generally does not take into consideration one's civil liabilities and financial disputes when it comes to immigration. For example, in UAE and other countries, one's Passport may be taken away and one may be prevented from leaving or entering the country, jailed, etc, based on financial disputes.

Not in USA. This is purely a civil matter and does not concern immigration.

According to INA Sec. 212 et seq (see here), individuals who have the following may be turned away from being admitted into the USA:

1) Two or more misdemeanors or multiple convictions;
2) Felony;
3) Crime of moral turpitude;
4) Certain diseases;
5) Etc.

But not so with civil legal matters. This should not be an issue and should not affect one's visa.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Good luck.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)