Judith
Judith, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
12467490

hello I need help. My son is 19 years old and he was DUI alcohol

hello I need help. My son is 19 years old and he was DUI alcohol in september 14th in san francisco.We are from Brazil and he is living alone there until november 12th.The breath sample test was0.002 and the driving licence expired in august.There no beverage in the car.He went to jail for one night and the courte will be tomorrw (october 2nd). What can I do to help him ? What are the consequences?? I'm in Brazil an so councerned about it.Thank you so munch Maria
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith replied 10 months ago.

Hello, my name is Judith. Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions.

I am a mother, too, Maria and I understand your fears.

The good news is that he will not be barred from coming to the US in the future if the worst happens and he is convicted. DUI is not a crime involving moral turpitude and does not make him inadmissible or cancel his visa. He has to carry with him his court disposition when he travels to prove what he was convicted of.

However, my question is does he have a lawyer who is trying to get him a diversion program where he does some alcohol classes and safe driving classes to get the case dismissed?

judith

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

hi Judith my pleasure talking to you.He doesn"t have a lawyer and he only told us what hapens 2 days ago, and I didn't know what to do.He will go to the courte tomorrow morning alone without a lawyer and I'm very concerned about it.Can he goes under arrest? What can he say to help himself?

I'm desperate.

Expert:  Judith replied 10 months ago.

No they won't arrest him. But It is still early enough in CA for him to find a lawyer who specializes in DUI to go with him in the AM.

Honestly, have him use the internet and search for "DUI lawyer San Francisco". He should at least go in with a lawyer to try to bargain with the prosecutor to get this into a deferred program because he was so slightly under the influence. He didn't blow very high.

It isn't bad using the internet to find a DUI lawyer because they do this day in and day out and are in court every day with these cases and the judges and prosecutors know them and they can usually work a deal or at least get this postponed until he has time to find a better lawyer.

What visa does he have?

Judith

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

how much will we pay for a lawyer? Can you aswer me that? we have no idea.

thank you

Expert:  Judith replied 10 months ago.

I am an immigration lawyer so I cannot tell you what a DUI lawyer might charge. I had a reckless driving charge and I paid $500 for my lawyer to go into court with me for the first hearing. A DUI may be somewhat higher in the $1500 range.

It was worth it because he was able to get the charge reduced. So they do bring merit to the case.

Judith

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

so what can I do to get a lawyer on the internet ? can he read a defense for his self or is better to be quiet and answer the judge"s questions? i"m thinking he won"t have time to get a lawyer.

Expert:  Judith replied 10 months ago.

He needs to ask the judge for a continuance so he can get a lawyer.

I just found 76 of them for him at this link. I am sure there is one available and who already will be in court on another case tomorrow. That is what they do, live in the courthouse

http://www.avvo.com/dui-dwi-lawyer/ca/san_francisco.html

Judith

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

judith thank you so much we will find a lawyer at this link.

have a nice day.

a hugh

Maria

Expert:  Judith replied 10 months ago.

A mom's life is not easy! Let me know what else I can help you with. Being at such a distance it is twice the stress for you.

If I can do anything else, let me know.

Please remember to rate if you had a positive experience with me and a bonus is appreciated if you feel I deserved it.

My goal is to give you excellent customer service and I'm here for you even after you rate.

Judith

Judith, Immigration Lawyer
Experience: 34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.