Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
12467490

I am currently on H1B visa. Can I start a new business in United

I am currently on H1B visa. Can I start a new business in United States? If yes, are there any restrictions on what work I can do for my new company?, any tax constraints?, What type of company I could form?

Hello, my name is Judith. Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions.

You may not form a "S corp because that income is reported as earned income on your return.

You can form an LLC or a "C" corp.

You may not do anything but fund the corporation and sit on the board of directors which would hire the manager who then hires the employers.

You cannot open a bank account, sign checks, talk to customers or vendors, nothing but be a silent investor.

Judith

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Judith,

Thanks for your quick response. I have just few more questions and if you could clarify those, it would be great!

Q: How can I get my ROI or profit on my investments?

Q: How to show this on my yearly tax?

Q: Let's say, if I start the business with US citizen as my equal partner in the business, how can I share the expenses and profit with him/her?

I am not a tax expert. I could only tell you what corporate structures would not cause you to go out of status and what your imitations on duty are.

You will need to seek out a CPS or a JA tax expert who can explain how your profits are paid.

Generally under a LLC these are paid out and put on a special schedule of your tax return.

On a C corp you get dividends and capital gains.

Q: How to show this on my yearly tax?

Again, a CPA or TAX expert would advise on this. It is not an immigration issues.

That would depend on the ownership structure and a tax advisor will tell you how you would do this for your tax purposes.

Judith

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok. I understand that all Tax related questions should go to a formal tax expert. Thanks.

Final 2 questions:

Q: If I form a LLC company in USA while on H1B visa, do I need to report it to anyone anyway? For example to the USCIS or DHS etc?

Q: Do I need to get any other visa or status for doing this? or I can just continue working on H1B for my existing employer and have a new company formed in parallel.

No you do not report it because you are not engaging in employment for the LLC. You are a silent partner who sits on the Board.

You may only hold one visa status at a time and you do not need any different visa status because you are not employed by the LLC.

Judith

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks a lot, Judith for clarifying my questions. Have a wonderful day ahead!

And you have a stellar week, as well.

If you have future questions you can begin them with "FOR JUDITH" and I will be your personal expert.

All the best with the venture. And than you in advance for your positive rating and any bonus you believe I have earned.

Judith