Expert James
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Experience:  Write FOR JAMES to get my help!
23431962

I have a friend who is interested to invest in one of the EB5

I have a friend who is interested to invest in one of the EB5 projects to obtain his green card. Do you recommend any projects?
Hi there! Thank you for using this service. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll be helping you with your questions today.

No, we are not permitted to recommend any specific projects. He should seek information on his own, with his attorney. Sometimes his options are limited to certain areas of the country, so he needs to make that decision on his own. We are not allowed to recommend any to him, for liability purposes.

Here is a list, provided by the USCIS: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=d765ee0f4c014210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=facb83453d4a3210VgnVCM100000b92ca60aRCRD.

I hope I have answered your questions. If you need more help, please use the reply button to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my satisfactory customer service (not the outcome or the state of the law which I cannot control) with a top-three rating, as this is the only way I receive credit for assisting you.

A bonus is appreciated, if you feel I've earned it.

If you want me to answer questions in the future, just go to Ask Expert James an Immigration Question! and make sure you write "FOR JAMES" in the subject or at the beginning of your question. This is the only way to ensure that I will assist you.

Thank you!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

can you tell me what should be his criteria in choosing EB5 project? e.g financial,reputation,etc.

Ali,

Here is a good list of things to consider when choosing a center.

- Consider when the regional center was last certified or re-certified. If they have a short track records, they are probably not a good choice. Some have also become inactive or have not been re-certified.

- If it hs been reviewed by the AAO, there is an added level of security.

- If the regional center is affiliated with a government entity, there is an added level of credibility. Also, the government entity may have experience in job creation.

- How many years of experience does the general partner or principal in the investment project have in working with immigrant investor programs? IF they have little or no experience, the project could fail and the immigrant investor visa goes with it.

- How many years of experience do the principals involved in the regional center have in job creation? Principals who have extensive experience in actually creating jobs should be a consideration.

- Projects with at least some significant amount of direct job creation may be safer alternatives.

- The regional center’s track record of successful EB-5 petitions is of great importance.

- Track record of condition removal approvals have the regional center investors received? How many denials? THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT.

- What is the amount required to be paid by the investor? Other fees to regional center, if any.

- Is payment made into an escrow account? Is the investment amount refunded if the I-526 is not approved? Escrow until approval is a great security feature for the investor.

- Can the investor redeem his investment following condition removal?

- What provisions are made regarding the security of the investment?

- What use is made of the investor’s funds? What is the type or types of projects? You want stable projects with a fairly certain result of success.

- What has been the rate of return to investors historically?

- Does the regional center provide regular reporting of the status of the investment to the investors, and at what intervals?

- The investor should look for a project with detailed job reporting on a regular basis.

The most important thing to consider is where he wants to live and the track record of success at the regional center. A successful program is likely to continue being successful. A new or unsuccessful center may not be so safe.

Thank you!