How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Expert James Your Own Question
Expert James
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 11014
Experience:  Write FOR JAMES to get my help!
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Expert James is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My friends wife is currently on EAD and her husband is on H1B.

This answer was rated:

My friends wife is currently on EAD and her husband is on H1B. Can she switch her status to H4 dependent visa as his husband is still is working on H1B.
Hi there! Thank you for using this service. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll be helping you with your questions today.

I see your friend's wife is working with an EAD, but in what non-immigrant status does she hold right now?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She is not working with EAD but living in united states as an EAD card holder. She got her EAD as an add on to her husbands primary. Her husband is continuing his work on H1B status.

Hi there,

I still need just a little more clarification of the situation, tomake sure I have everything right.

A person doesn't live in the US as an EAD card holder. EAD is a result of being in some status, but it does not create a status for a person to stay in the US. In other words, a person is issued an EAD if they are in some status that allows for it, but once she loses that status, the EAD can be revoked.

So are you saying that her husband has an employment based Adjustment of Status application case, and his wife is on the petition and application? And so she was issued an EAD as a result of a pending green card application?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes that is true. He no longer wants to sponsor her green card. But at the same time wants to give her time so that she can switch to a different status of her own.

Okay, I think I'm clear now.

The concern is that because she is issued an EAD, that her H4 status is no longer valid. So this begs the question of when her I-94 expires for the H4 status.

Let me make it even easier.

If the I-94 for her H4 status remains valid, then she can still be in H4 status until such time that the divorce is finalized.

So before the divorce is finalized, and before the I-94 expires for her H4, she can apply for a change of status. This is true even if she has an EAD. Now if the I-94 has expired, and she still is in the US, then this is not possible. She has to move forward with the Adjustment of Status or otherwise leave the US.

I hope I have answered your questions. If you need more help, please use the reply button to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my satisfactory customer service (not the outcome or the state of the law which I cannot control) with a top-three rating, as this is the only way I receive credit for assisting you.

A bonus is appreciated, if you feel I've earned it.

If you want me to answer questions in the future, just go to Ask Expert James an Immigration Question! and make sure you write "FOR JAMES" in the subject or at the beginning of your question. This is the only way to ensure that I will assist you.

Thank you!
Expert James and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Immigration Law Questions