Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.

I am a Canadian citizen and I plan to married a US citizen

I am a Canadian citizen and I plan to married a US citizen in the fall of this year. After marriage will be fiance continue to collect his disability?
Hello and thank you for using our service. My name isXXXXX and I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help you. Believe me that I will try my best to give you a solution if one exists, but sometimes the law does not have a good one.

You would like to know if you would be eligible to collect his disability if he were to pass away?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No once we are married will he continue to get his disability? I sure hope he will not pass away and leave me...

But his disability is through him or through an ex-spouse?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

His disability is through him and him alone

Is it Social Security Income (SSI) that he is getting or Social Security Disability Income (SSDI) that he is receiving?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I really don't know. I know he was hurt on the job and is getting disability

Ok. Take a look at this OFFICIAL link on the 14th page:

If they are retirement benefits, your income can affect those benefits. But if it is SSDI which is disability benefits, then marriage to you should not affect those benefits.

Please let me know if you have additional questions and please do not forget to rate my service to you (not the state of the law) as that is the only way that I can get credit for my assistance to you. Even after you rate the service, I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge. If you do rate me positively, a bonus is always appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future, just go to and make sure you type: FOR GUILLERMO on the subject line. Thank you!