How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Georgetown Lawyer Your Own Question
Georgetown Lawyer
Georgetown Lawyer, Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 12049
Experience:  10+ years of Immigration Experience in All Areas A-Z complex immigration cases & issues in all areas
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Georgetown Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello Is it legal to have an employment bond in US for an

This answer was rated:

Is it legal to have an employment bond in US for an employee with H1 visa?
I am in L1 now and from 1st OCT 2013 my H1 visa will be active. My new employer wants me to sign an agreement and it says the following,
-> Considering the time and effort spend by the Company in getting the assignment, the Consultant agrees that he/she will contribute to the Company by continuing to work at least 2000 billable hours.
-> In the case of breach of the above covenants, the Consultant agrees to pay a sum of $25,000.00 as liquidated damages.
Im in "chicago,IL" and the company is in "Piscataway, NJ". I am really worried what I am suppose to do now. Please advise. Thank you.

Hello and thank you for using our service. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help you. I just ask for two things: 1) Before you sign off, please remember to rate me positively as that is the only way that I am paid and your question does not close after you rate me so I can still answer additional questions without additional charge if you have follow-ups even weeks or months later; and, 2) IF I have bad news for you, please remember I am only the messenger. When you rate me, it is my service to you that you rate, not whether the news is good or bad. I will try my best to give you a solution, but sometimes the law does not have a good one.


How many months would it take you to work 2000 billable hours?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.


How many months would it take you to work 2000 billable hours?

8 to 9 months.

It's a legal contract. They have invested money into sponsoring you so basically they want you to agree to work for 8 to 9 months more for them and if you fail to do that you agree to pay $25,000 so all you have to do is do 2000 billable hours and then the contract is not an issue and you will be free to leave if you choose without having to pay anything. I hope this helps clarify.


Please let me know if you have additional questions and please do not forget to rate my service to you (not the state of the law) as that is the only way that I can get credit for my assistance to you. Even after you rate the service, I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge. If you do rate me positively, a bonus is always appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future, just make sure you type: FOR GEORGETOWN LAWYER on the subject line. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for answering my question, I just have one final clarification,


If I have to take 12 months to serve 2000 hours is the contract still valid?

yes, it is valid until you complete the 2000 billable hours, so the amount of time it takes to complete it is not the issue...the amount of hours is the focus, so once you have the 2000 billable hours complete then you have no penalty if you leave, according to what you have posted here. If there is a full contract, you should have a local lawyer review it before signing if you have any other concerns. Thanks in advance for a positive rating and kind regards.
Georgetown Lawyer and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Hi Kumar,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Let me know,

Related Immigration Law Questions