Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
9200179

I am think of moving to Las Vegas from Nova Scotia. I am A

I am think of moving to Las Vegas from Nova Scotia. I am A Electrical Engineering Technologist, with a red seal electrical and instrumentation ticket. Im I just dreaming, or is there a path of doing this?
Hello and thank you for using our service. My name isXXXXX and I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help you. Believe me that I will try my best to give you a solution if one exists, but sometimes the law does not have a good one.

Well, with the high unemployment in the U.S. and so many U.S. workers looking for jobs and few jobs available, the options are few because USCIS will not easily approve a work visa that could potentially take away a job from a U.S. Citizen, but let me ask you a few questions:

1) Your have a bachelors or higher in education?

2) Do you have a job offer? For whom? Doing what?

3) Can you find your title here or could you fit into one of these:

http://www.visabureau.com/america/tn-visa-professions.aspx
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have a Post-Secondary Diploma. Two Canadian trade Red Seals. But no degree. I didn't even start applying for job yet, but there are a few Automation System Integrator jobs that fit my experience and education. Im not sure I fit any of the visabureau titles without getting creative.

Well, if you could fit into one of those, then that is the TN visa and you can apply for one quickly if you had a job offer. If you do not fit into one of those but qualify as a bachelors equivalent due to your education and experience (you would have to have that all evaluated by an independent evaluation service that would be able to say that you have a bachelors equivalent, then you might be able to do an H-1B professional visa. You need to get a job offer, though. The job offer must be for a company that is offering a position that is related to your degree and experience. The position must normally require a bachelors degree or higher. The company must have a need for someone in that position and must have the resources to be able to pay you what is normally paid to someone in that position. Also, because they are used up for this year, you will need to apply on April 1, 2014 to start working on October 1, 2014 or later. The exception is if you apply for a cap-exempt job and those are at an institution of higher education or its affiliated or related nonprofit entities or a nonprofit research organization, or a government research organization. Those are not subject to this numerical cap.

Here is an official link to the H-1B:

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=73566811264a3210VgnVCM100000b92ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=73566811264a3210VgnVCM100000b92ca60aRCRD

If you do not reach that high in education, you could try the H-2B visa. For an H-2B worker visa, it is expensive and difficult to get because the employer would have to go through an expensive process called a Labor Certification where the position is advertised in the local media, the employer must receive all resumes and eliminate all candidates for valid reasons, not just because they have a job for you. This is to prove that you would not be taking a job away from a U.S. worker.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=d1d333e559274210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=d1d333e559274210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD

And finally, there is also the J-1 exchange visitor program, but be very careful with this because many require that you go home for 2 years after your stay in the U.S. Here is a link:

http://j1visa.state.gov/programs/

Please let me know if you have additional questions and please do not forget to rate my service to you (not the state of the law) as that is the only way that I can get credit for my assistance to you. Even after you rate the service, I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge. If you do rate me positively, a bonus is always appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future, just go to http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-guillermosenmartin/ and make sure you type: FOR GUILLERMO on the subject line. Thank you!