Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice in several areas, including immigration

I have a telephone from what is suppose to be Ghana Customs

I have a telephone from what is suppose to be Ghana Customs and Immigration. The number is XXXXX 233 209 752 362 and a MR Williams answers the telephone. Is this a part of a scam?
Hello and thank you for requesting me.

How did you meet this individual? Online? If so, what site? Or did she email you out of the blue?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Met online at a dating service. I think it was Met1

Thank you, Larry. I hate to say it, but you are being scammed.

This is a classic romance scam. The romance is normally established online. Normally the scam starts with trying to establish a romantic relationship. The scammer will often claim to have citizenship in US, UK, Germany, Australia, or elsewhere, so you do not suspect ulterior motive. (This may or may not be part of it.)

They tell you tales of tragedy and at the same time tell you how involved they are with you and eventually, they will want to come over. That is when the scamming begins. First, they will need money for a visa, which will be hundreds (should not be, but they will demand it). Then they will want a ticket for the airplane. They may tell you that they have money, but it is tied up. Then, they will claim that they need exit tax, or bribe, or "insurance," or "proof of income," or something else. There is no such thing. This is just another method to steal money from you. They often also claim to have gold, precious gems ,cash, etc, wish them. Of course, you'll need to pay to have them "released."

Then they never arrive and a few days later, a "friend" or "relative" of the scammer contacts you to let you know that she has been detained/arrested by authorities and you need to pay more money.

The scam goes on. There are thousands of variations, but you get the idea. Ghana is the scam capital of the world and the authorities there are unwilling/unable to stop the scamming. It is so bad that the U.S. government has put out a warning about romances from Ghana - here.

Finally, Ghana customs is under the Ghana Revenue Authority. Their contact information is:

Off Starlets' 91 Road,
near Accra Sports Stadium

P. O. Box 2202,

Telephone: +233-(0)302-675701-10 / +233-(0)302-686106 / +233-(0)302-684363
Fax: +233-(0)302-681163

The telephone number that you have - that is simply another scammer working in tandem with the first one to get your money.

Please note: I aim to give you genuine information and not necessarily to tell you only what you wish to hear. Please, rate me on the quality of my information and do not punish me for my honesty. I understand that hearing things less than optimal is not easy, and I empathize.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)
Thank you for your gratuity.