Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.

I am planning to sponsor my wife for a green card but there

I am planning to sponsor my wife for a green card but there was a domestic violence incident a year ago between me and her which resulted in me having an ACD pending until October. Will this incident prevent me from sponsoring my wife? If not, should I wait until the ACD clears before submitting the I-130 application?
Hello and thank you for using our service. My name isXXXXX and I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help you. Believe me that I will try my best to give you a solution if one exists, but sometimes the law does not have a good one.

Is your spouse currently inside of the U.S.? In what status? What visa did she use to enter the U.S.?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My wife and I live together in the U.S. She is here on an H1-B visa.
You can apply for her now. Because she is inside of the U.S. already in legal status, the IMBRA protections do not apply. Those are for persons outside of the U.S. that would be dropping everything, changing their entire life around for the promise of a good life in the U.S. and they may not know the person petitioning for them very well. When a person is already in the U.S. then that protection doesn't apply. Keep in mind that you will be submitting the I-130 and I-485 and other forms together, but they normally do not run a background check on the U.S. Citizen when the beneficiary is in the U.S. Please let me know if you have additional questions and please do not forget to rate my service to you (not the state of the often unjust laws which I have no control over) as that is the only way that I can get credit for my assistance to you. Even after you rate the service, I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge. If you feel I have earned one, bonuses are always appreciated. To request me in the future, make sure you type: FOR GUILLERMO on the subject line. Thank you!