Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
9200179

Same question as before.

Same question as before.
Hello and thank you for using our service. My name isXXXXX and I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help you. Just please remember that often the law is not good news. IF I have bad news for you, please remember I am only the messenger. When you rate me, it is my service to you that you rate, not whether the news is good or bad. Believe me that I will try my best to give you a solution if one exists, but sometimes the law does not have a good one.

Are you looking for a 2nd opinion or you accidentally posted again?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I didn't mean to post it twice...I got caught in a loop...but a second opinion would be nice.

Yes, what my colleague said was correct. One does not abandon U.S. Citizenship. The UK and the U.S. both recognize dual nationality. So your father would have had to have done something specific to give up U.S. Citizenship and just living in the UK would not have been enough. You can take a look at these links:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1753.html

http://travel.state.gov/law/citizenship/citizenship_778.html

And yes, you should file a G-639 FOIA to get a full copy of his U.S. immigration file.

Please let me know if you have additional questions and please do not forget to rate my service to you (not the state of the law) as that is the only way that I can get credit for my assistance to you. Even after you rate the service, I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge. If you do rate me positively, a bonus is always appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future, just go to http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-guillermosenmartin/ and make sure you type: FOR GUILLERMO on the subject line. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks very much to both of you for such quick responses. I shall follow up on the links immediately. By the way, can I get British citizenship since he was not a Brit "by descent" since all his family from way back were British? After this I will quit bothering you guys and give you a superlative rating.

It's not a bother. You are paying for a service and deserve quick and correct responses. But at far as your follow-up question, I am a U.S. immigrationaw attorney and I can only tell you about U.S. law. So I cannot tell you if you can get British citizenship or not. Sorry about that. But please do not forget to rate me positively. Thank you!