How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Expert James Your Own Question
Expert James
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 11687
Experience:  Write FOR JAMES to get my help!
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Expert James is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

For personal and economic reasons it suits us to file 2012

This answer was rated:

For personal and economic reasons it suits us to file 2012 income taxes as married filing separately. Will this affect her in the process of green card?
Hi there! Thank you for using this service. My screen name isXXXXX and I'll be helping you with your questions today. All I ask in return is that you give me a positive rating for my customer service once I have finished assisting you to your satisfaction. If you feel the need to use "poor service" or "bad service," please ask follow-up questions instead, so that I can try to help you further.

If this is the only proof that you are submitting that you are in a real, bona fide, good faith relationship, then it could be problematic. But if your tax return is but one of the things you are submitting, then it should not be a problem. If you can get a letter from your CPA or accountant, or you can somehow add a statement with your application about why you are filing separately - doesn't require specifics, but just an explanation - then that would be helpful. If you can confront the potential issue head on, instead of being questioned about it, it would be better for the case.

I hope I have answered your questions. If you're satisfied with my answer and my professionalism - not the outcome or the state of the law which I cannot control - please select a top-three rating. Remember that the bottom two negative ratings are used for Experts or professionals who are rude and/or bad at their job. I'm confident you'll find me to be professional and truthful with you.

A bonus is appreciated, if you feel I've earned it.

If you want me to answer questions in the future, just go to Ask Longhorn Lawyer and make sure you write "FOR LONGHORN" in the subject or at the beginning of your question. That is the only way to guarantee that I will assist you.

Thank you!
Expert James and 2 other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Immigration Law Questions