How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Expert James Your Own Question
Expert James
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 11675
Experience:  Write FOR JAMES to get my help!
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Expert James is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What is best course for a Chinese female citizen with a 10

This answer was rated:

What is best course for a Chinese female citizen with a 10 year old American son whose husband was deported back to China and who lived in US for more than 10 years now on an A-10 visa that does not allow her to visit China to see her ailing mother and be able to return...what is best and quickest way to allow her to see her mother and return? If there is a way, what is shortest time this can be done?
Hi there! Thank you for using this service. My screen name isXXXXX and I'll be helping you with your questions today. All I ask in return is that you give me a positive rating for my customer service once I have finished assisting you to your satisfaction. If you feel the need to use "poor service" or "bad service," please ask follow-up questions instead, so that I can try to help you further.

I'm confused. There is no such thing as an A-10 visa in US immigration laws.


Why can she not go back to China? Did she apply for asylum in the US?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She did apply for asylum maybe H-10 visa or something that sounds similar



There is something called an H-1B visa, but not an H-10 visa. And the H1B is an employment based visa, not a visa through asylum. Did she get her actual green card from the asylum case? Did she get approval for asylum? When did she do that?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She has made some very wrong choices about going about getting a green card which she doesn't have. I believe its a H-1B as you described since she did apply for asylum and was granted about 7 years ago. She wants a chance to see her mother possible before her mother dies which is the time it would take for her 10 year old son to become 21 and for her to be granted a green card. Is there some where with her current visa to visit and return. Or, what is the fastest way given the situation of illness with her mother for her to see her mother and be able to return to US?


An H-1B is an employment based status. It is not in any way related to the asylum. And if she was granted asylum 7 years ago, then she should have gotten a green card already. So something is not right here.

If she was granted asylum from China, she should not travel there unless the country conditions from which she sought asylum have changed significantly, and she is no longer at reasonable risk of being persecuted. Otherwise, if nothing has changed, and she goes back with asylum, the US government can revoke her asylum, and she can end up stuck in China. If she is really scared, why would she go back. That's what the US government would say. This does not happen to everyone, but if she decides to go, it is a very big risk she is taking. Again, she can lose her asylum status. I realize this is a very important thing for her to do to see her mother, but she has to make that decision knowing the risks, which are high.

Please know that I always do my best to help customers come up with a good solution, but from time to time, the law does not provide a good solution to every situation. Please do not hold bad news against me by giving me a negative rating.

I hope I have answered your questions. If you're satisfied with my answer and my professionalism - not the outcome or the state of the law which I cannot control - please select a top-three rating. Remember that the bottom two negative ratings are used for Experts or professionals who are rude and/or bad at their job. I'm confident you'll find me to be professional and truthful with you.

A bonus is appreciated, if you feel I've earned it.

If you want me to answer questions in the future, just go to Ask Longhorn Lawyer and make sure you write "FOR LONGHORN" in the subject or at the beginning of your question. That is the only way to guarantee that I will assist you.

Thank you!
Expert James and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Immigration Law Questions