Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice in several areas, including immigration

if a person convicted on a serious perjury charge, can this

if a person convicted on a serious perjury charge, can this be a cause for a deportation? She just get the green card ( permanent residency).
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

The answer is possibly. Allow me to explain.

If a greencard holder is convicted of certain crimes, then they may be held by ICE (U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement) and placed into removal (i.e.deported).

This would have to be a conviction for:

-Two or more crimes involving moral turpitude (a broad, subjective doctrine that has to do with any offense involving lying, deceipt, etc) at anytime; or
-A drug-related crime; or
-A crime considered an "aggravated felony," which includes things like murder, rape, drug trafficking, fraud (over $10,000); and crimes involving theft or violence (including drunk driving) where a judge sentenced you to one year or more of jail time (regardless of your actual time spent in jail).

The perjury charge may qualify.

However, there is a caveat. Due to some internal politics, at the moment, certain California local counties are not reporting to ICE. Normally, once the person is arrested, ICE is contacted and may request a "hold" that they are not bailed out, and may be transferred to ICE once the local criminal matter is completed.

But lately, this has not been done all the time. So it really is up to ICE at this point. But arguably, PERJURY qualifies if a criminal offense, under moral turpitude or a serious enough misdemeanor/felony. But it is up to ICE to decide whether or not they pursue the matter.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)