Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer
Experience:  18 years of criminal litigation experience.
18321761

i am being told that immigration wants my Ghanaian wife to

i am being told that immigration wants my Ghanaian wife to have 15thousand dollars to hod until she gets here to show her Independence.is this true
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
Hello Jacustomer,

I already can tell that your "wife" is someone you have only met via the internet and if so, you have got yourself a romance scammer.

No amount of money is necessary for someone to enter Ghana and enter the US. Both Ghana's immigration Service plus the US Embassy in Ghana will tell you that. This money requirement only exists in advance fee romance frauds.

Here's the warning on the Ghana Immigration site. (see link)

As you can see, Ghana does not require money to leave. The US State Department also warns of getting involved with a Ghanaian who is professing love to you online. They warn as well about the BTA/Declaration fee, because there is none.

The warning reads:

"Beware of anyone who requests funds for a BTA, or Basic Travel Allowance, as a requirement to depart another country for the United States. There is no such thing as a BTA. In other cases, your Internet friend will claim to need a travel allowance, or travel money, to be able to travel to the United States. Again, there is no such requirement under U.S. law"

There is only one place for a Ghanaian to get a visa to come to the US and that is through the US Embassy in Ghana. She cannot get one through any travel agent. It is simply not possible. The "travel agent" is merely a confederate of the scammer. They are working together and pocketing your money. You can read about how and where to get a US visa in Ghana here.

Finally, although you may think that you are married, I am fairly confident that your "bride" does not really even exist. Regardless, unless you married her in person in a legal ceremony, US Immigration will not recognize the marriage for purposes of a spousal visa, nor will most US states accept a proxy marriage as valid.

I'm very sorry to be the bearer of bad news as I imagine you want to believe her. But she's lying and has been stealing your money. That's a scammer.

If you are still not sure, try the following, as sometimes they will help:

1) Run her photos through Google's Search by Image and see what you get. It won't always turn up a scammer but it does often enough to make it very worthwhile to try. If you find that her same pictures is posted all over dating sites and facebooks under different names and profiles, you have your answer and know the woman's a fake. If you cannot figure out how to use it you can upload her photos to this thread or send them to our customer service to be forwarded on to me, and I will be happy to look over all of the documents. Customer Service isXXX@XXXXXX.XXX.

2) Take some unique sentences at random from her emails and run them through Google's search feature. Sometimes you will get a hit that way too, because scammers cut and paste their mail from previously written scam letters and don't usually reinvent the wheel. That's why some of their correspondence doesn't always match what you spoke of in your letters. Again, this won't work all the time, and if it doesn't she could still just be an unreported scammer. But it too works enough of the time so that you ought to check it out.

If you see the same love letter being used all over the web, you know you've got a scammer. No legitimate dater is going to cut and past a scammer's love letter to try to impress a man.

3) Familiarize yourself with the signs of a romance scammer because no matter who or where they say they are, romance scammers all follow the same general script, because they know it works. Here they are:

- the scammer reaches out to you on a dating or social networking website and she falls in love with you at first sight.

- She moves in on you and rushes the relationship towards some kind of a commitment. She pulls you off the site where you met and tells you that she wants an exclusive relationship with you via webcam, skype, Yahoo messenger, etc. She flirts with you, seduces you and teases you sexually, especially when she is talking about gifts and money.

- And as soon as she knows that she's got you all really hot and interested, she starts asking for things or money. She wants to see you but she will need plane tickets and/or a visa, and a Declaration fee or a Basic Travel Allowance. (no such thing) But then after you've paid all that, she'll have an emergency that keeps her from getting on that plane -- a car accident on the way to the airport. A legal problem with an inheritance from her late father or mother or with her job. A mugging and a trip to the hospital. A dying mother/father/sister/brother/self who can't pay hospital bills. An arrest at Customs. These are just some of the most popular excuses. There are many others. You can see a very good list of the excuses here.

No matter what the phony excuse, however, she will say that you're her only hope to solve her problems. And all of her problems will cost you money. A lot of it. Despite that, she will never get an inch closer to boarding that plane.

- She will want the money wired via Western Union or MoneyGram, which has no protection for the sender. It's like throwing your money away.

Once she starts asking for gifts or money, You can bet that she's not who and what you think she is. She's a group of thieves, almost always men, sitting at an internet cafe somewhere overseas, working together to rob too trusting, good hearted men and women such as yourself of all of their money.

If you send her money, she'll just come up with another emergency to ask you for more. And another. And another until you catch wise or go broke, whichever happens first.

You are the victim of a crime. Report her to your police and to the FBI at IC3.gov and don't send her any more money.
Zoey, JD, Lawyer
Experience: 18 years of criminal litigation experience.