Expert James
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Experience:  Write FOR JAMES to get my help!
23431962

Hello, 10 years ago I was driving on the Missouri highway

10 years ago I was driving on the Missouri highway with learner Permit. I was stopped by cop and was arrested for not having full drivers license. Stayed in the police station two hours. Not inside the Jail either. Siting with the Police. Later my friend came and bailed me out. After a month I had appeared in the court and paid fine of three hundred dollars. That fine was contribution to county. Point deducted from my Learner permit. The vehicle was mine and was insured. However, the police had arrested because I supposed to have a someone with full driver's license. And for speeding. I also got a speeding ticket of 500 dollars. I know it will stay in my record. However, after my university graduation, I left USA. Right now I was planning to go back to USA for higher study. As a Canadian will they stop me at the border or will they deny entry for this record of arrest? What would you suggest me to do? Do I need a visa waiver? I think it is not a Criminal act. It is violation of speeding and not having a full drivers license. Please suggest what would be my next steps. Thank you. Pat
Hi Pat,

Thank you for using this service. I'll do my best to answer your questions as completely and honestly as I can. All I ask in return is that you give me a positive rating for my customer service. This is the only way I get credit for assisting you. If you feel the need to use "poor service" or "bad service," please ask follow-up questions instead, so that I can try to help you further.

So did you do all of the things you needed to in order to deal with this? Like pay the fines, etc.? Do you have a warrant for your arrest for not doing what you were supposed to?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes I did everything. I have paid the fines. I gave a check of 300 dollars to county. Paid the 500 dollars speeding ticket fees. Actually my lawyer negotiated with county and everything is done. I do not have any warrant for arrest. I also never broke any laws in my life. I did not get arrested in my life without it. I think they had fingerprinted me to check whether I had any records. Also cop who has arrested me called his supervisor to know whether he should write me big ticket or whether he should arrest me. Supervisor said to arrest me. Because I was speeding with learner permit.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Please provide me the answer detail. No worries about giving you a positive rating. You will get it. However, your answer will help me a lot.

Hi Pat,

Thanks for the clarification.

This is not a criminal offense. It is considered a moving violation, and therefore you will not be required to get a visa waiver for your entry to the US.

Note, however, that if you are asked whether you've ever been arrested, make sure you answer truthfully. Sometimes, officers ask questions to see if you are going to be honest, so make sure that you are. Do not worry - again, moving violations are not criminal offenses for which one would require a visa waiver.

I hope I have answered your questions. Keep in mind that I only get credit for my work if you rate me positively. If you're satisfied with my answer and my professionalism - not the outcome or the state of the law which I cannot control - please select a top-three rating. Again, if you feel the need to use "poor service" or "bad service," please ask follow-up questions instead, so that I can try to help you further. Remember that the bottom two negative ratings are used for Experts or professionals who are rude and/or bad at their job, and I'm confident you'll find me to be professional and truthful with you.

A bonus is appreciated, if you feel I've earned it.

If you want me to answer questions in the future, you can write "FOR LONGHORN" at the beginning of your question, or go directly to my question page here: Ask Longhorn Lawyer

Thank you!