Judith
Judith, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
12467490

Hello, I am wondering what my status might be, and is there

I am wondering what my status might be, and is there anyway to obtain proof of my status while I wait to renew my visa? Someone mentioned that I likely have no status. I'm currently trying to get a driver license. I've had one before, but it expired a long while ago, and went I went to renew they told me I need to show legal presence. Both my visa and passport are expired, I am now 31. I haven't travel anywhere since I was a child. I came to the US legally with my mother at 4 years old. She is now a US citizen. I assume that she was able to enter legally because her mother was here, and had filed papers back in the 80's to get her here. My question is am I in some sort of violation since my via has expired, and would I likely have to wait until my visa is approve to obtain a new drivers license?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith replied 1 year ago.

Hello,my name is Judith. Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions.

Do you have papers filed for you to get legal status?

You didn't get status when your mother did?

Judith

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Not sure what you mean by papers filed? I haven't done anything other than start than application to renew my green card using an I-90 form, I haven't been called for the interview yet. I did read that the entire process from the application to actually receiving the physical visa can take months, which I am being evicted and cannot get a new place without some form of ID.

To answer your second question, I do not know what you mean by getting status, this is all new to me, so I have no idea of what status I would have received after she became a citizen.

Expert:  Judith replied 1 year ago.

OK, you are renewing your resident alien card?

You filed an I-90?

Do you have a receipt?

Judith

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I have filed form I-90, and yes I have the receipt.

Expert:  Judith replied 1 year ago.

Wonderful.

You can get a temporary resident alien stamp in your passport showing you have legal status to renew your driver license by making an appointment with the local immigration officer.

www.usics.gov

Go to the link on the left and make the appointment.

Judith

Judith, Immigration Lawyer
Experience: 34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.