How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Expert James Your Own Question
Expert James
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 11713
Experience:  Write FOR JAMES to get my help!
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Expert James is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband and I have an adopted daughter from China. A fellow

This answer was rated:

My husband and I have an adopted daughter from China. A fellow adoptive parent recently told us that her Social security card status would be "resident alien" and that we would need to change this to "Citizen" status before she turns 18 years old. Is this true and if so, what do we need to do to change this status?

Thank you for using this service. I'll do my best to answer your questions as completely and honestly as I can. All I ask in return is that you give me a positive rating for my customer service. This is the only way I get credit for assisting you. If you feel the need to use "poor service" or "bad service," please ask follow-up questions instead, so that I can try to help you further.


Where is your daughter now? Did she receive her green card already? Under what process did you adopt the child and bring her to the US, if she already is here? How old is she now? How old was she when she was adopted?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We adopted our daughter in May 2001 at the age of 10 months old. She is now 13 years old and we got her social security card for her shortly after we arrived home in the U.S. We also have a certificate of citizenship for her. (I had to send in her green card when we applied for her certificate of citizenship, so we no longer have that) Our adoption was finalized in China 2 days after we received her in 2001. I assumed that the social security card status was citizen because we were informed that she became a citizen of the U.S. once she was adopted. We thought we had taken care of all her documentation within the first year or so of returning to the U.S. and I just want to be sure that we have all her documentation correct.

Hi Kelly,

Thanks for the additional information.

You've done everything you were supposed to by now. By getting a Certificate of Citizenship, she is a US citizen, regardless of what her social security card indicates. However to keep her records organized and up to date with Social Security, you should change her citizenship status in her SS records.


You can do so by going here:, and following the instructions.

I hope I have answered your questions. Keep in mind that I only get credit for my work if you rate me positively. If you're satisfied with my answer and my professionalism - not the outcome or the state of the law which I cannot control - please select a top-three rating. Again, if you feel the need to use "poor service" or "bad service," please ask follow-up questions instead, so that I can try to help you further. Remember that the bottom two negative ratings are used for Experts or professionals who are rude and/or bad at their job, and I'm confident you'll find me to be professional and truthful with you.

A bonus is appreciated, if you feel I've earned it.

If you want me to answer questions in the future, you can write "FOR LONGHORN" at the beginning of your question, or go directly to my question page here: Ask Longhorn Lawyer

Thank you!
Expert James and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Immigration Law Questions