Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
12467490

Hi I am an Asylee from Syria, Ive got my status year ago.

Hi
I am an Asylee from Syria, I've got my status year ago. Now iam eligible for adjustment of status. And I will apply next week.
I've read that if the situation in Syria changed so iam not longer Asylee or I won't be able to adjust my status, I mean if as we hear from the news usa hit the regime and the regime fall during my adjustment of status processing time which is about 4 months, would that affect my eligiblility for adjustment of status? Or after the date of application I am no longer affected by my country situation changing?
Thank you

Hello,my name is Judith. Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions.

Yes, it is true if the situation changes and there is no longer a fear of persecution they can terminate your asylum claim.

However, even if the US strikes, it takes a significant period of time to stabilize a country and I think you should be safe.

I don't see this resolving in a short period of time.

Judith

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes you are right, but my fear of persecution is due to the regime, so if the regime is gone and the situation as you said stayed unstable for a long period of time so would that terminate my status? I mean which one will terminate my status the regime fell even though the country situation not stable, or the stability of the country ?

I can only speak historically. It is unlikely they would withdraw your asylum. They may deny new claims, but in the past with other countries they have approved the adjustment on claims already approved.

Judith