Judith
Judith, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
12467490

Im want to transfer

Customer Question

Hey I'm International Student holding a valid M1 visa and valid I20 in flying school I want to transfer to another flying school in another state but my previous flying school is not willing to put me in a transfer list,they said to me if you want transfer give us initial payment like 7000 us dollars then they gonna put me in a transfer list otherwise they gonna cancel my I20 ,my new flying school is willing to accept me now what should I do???what if they cancel my I20 can I get a new I20 can I get enroll into new school???or transfer is necessary to get into another school???They threatening me  they cancel my I20 if I don't give money can  they cancel my I20???? I just enroll in this school 1 week ago and its really hard to survive here i just took 3  ground classes.Please do help me I want to transfer.

Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith replied 1 year ago.

Hello,my name is Judith. Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions.

If the transfer out School will not release your SEVIS to the new school you would have to get a new I-20, have the transfer in school recommend reinstatement and pay a new fee and apply for reinstatement on form I-539, or leave the country and return on your current valid visa with the new I-20.

You could fly to Bahamas, surrender your old I-94 and come back with the new I-20 and get a new I-94 with your old unexpired visa stamp

Here us the link to the form. The fee is $290

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=94d12c1a6855d010VgnVCM10000048f3d6a1RCRD&vgnextchannel=db029c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

Judith

Judith, Immigration Lawyer
Experience: 34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hey thanks for ur answer but still i hv little confusion my number is XXXXXXXXXX please do call me i want to talk.If my previous school cancel my I20 then can I still get my I 20 frm a new school ???as you said and after i filed I539 and transfer to new school, but once school close my I20 Is i am out of status is it??? how come to be again in status frm new school ??? or as u said if i got a I20 frm new school and go back to home country and come back again with a new I 20 but should i need a new visa for my new school???bcoz on my passport the name of previous school is written does it create any prb at the port of entry or what if i get a new I20 frm new school and go to burmas and come back again in order to get a new I94 form in order to tell them i changed my school please do help me

Expert:  Judith replied 1 year ago.

We cannot call you.

You do not need a new visa if you have not been out of status for more than 5 months.

If you remain here you file the I-539 for reinstatement and transfer with the new I-20 from the new school.

Or you depart, and return with the new I-20 using the old visa. You only need a new visa if you were out of status for more than 5 months.

It does not create any problem with the old visa because you did report to that school, you went to 3 classes and now want to leave.

Judith