Judith, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.

My friend doesnt speak English, but just called me freaking

My friend doesn't speak English, but just called me freaking out because her son's father, who is supposed to be already deported for abusing her, told her that he got a lawyer who said that, under the Dream Act, he can get legalized as long as he starts going to classes to get his GED. That it may take a couple of years, but that they won't send him back to Mexico. That doesn't sound right. Can they let him stay here in the States? I'm concerned for her because I'm afraid that all he wants is to continue to use scare tactics on her and threaten her, but because she has no legal residence here, she is scared and doesn't know what to do. Can he remain in the States, even though he's already been deported?

Hello,my name is Judith. Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions.

Has he been convicted of Domestic Violence?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

WRONG, he will NOT get status under the Dream Act with a conviction for Domestic Violence.

The USCIS policy is very clear that anyone with a significant misdemeanor are ineligible. They are denying the Dream Act remedy for people with a DUI!

So I would say if he does apply he is digging his own grave and if he has an order of deportation, he is only waving a red flag to come and get him, he has not left.