Judith, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.

Client is illegal alien. Charged under NJ law with violation

Client is illegal alien. Charged under NJ law with violation of NJSA 39:3-10 (driving without a license) as well as failure to have seatbelt, and having passengers riding in parts of car not intended for passengers (i.e., back of pickup truck.)

Client is clearly Guilty, has no defense.

Are there adverse immigration consequences to a Guilty plea to these charges?

Hello, my name is Judith. Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions.

I have looked this up and it appears NJSA 39:3-10 is strictly a motor vehicle offense and not a misdemeanor. Please confirm.

Maximum penalty is 60 days and/or fine $200-500.

The seatbelt offense has no possible jail time and a small fine.

Cannot seem to find the other violation in the code.

The NJSA 39:3-10 violation does not make him inadmissible so there is no immigration consequences for this traffic offense. The ICE will not come out to arrest him for these violations.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Right, they're traffic (non-criminal) offenses. I had assumed that would not pose an immigration issue. Was just looking for 2d opinion

Confirmed, counselor!