Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice in several areas, including immigration
7286322

I am currently changing my last name on my green card and my

I am currently changing my last name on my green card and my case is in progress. I applied on April 8 of 2013 and I had my biometrics taken on May 1st of 2013. The case status online said it is still in Initial Review. My driving license has my new married lastname, however , my russian passport and my current green card has my maiden name. At the beginning of October I plan to travel to outside of US. I have two questions:
1)can i go and proceed with my travel plan and go outside of US using my maiden name and come back with my current green card in October? I will be traveling for 2 weeks in October.
OR
2) Will I have a hard time coming back using my current green card if my new updated green card with my married name comes in while i am outside of US?

Please help me. I have one month left before my traveling and I don't know what to do whether to cancel my traveling time and wait until my new green card shows up or go ahead and proceed with it and use my maiden name.
Thank you,
Olga K
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

I am sorry for your situation.

First of all, please note that before you go, you must have an I-131 travel document in place. See here. Traveling abroad without a I-131 in place while one has a pending application will have that application dropped. As such, I am assuming that you have the I-131 in place, or will get it (normally takes about 3-6 weeks to process).

You may proceed using your maiden name and come back. The point is to have documentation showing what you seek. Do expect to be held up at customs a bit while they verify it. However, provided that you can show that:

You have a greencard in name A, but recently have changed your name to B, and have the marriage license/court order to prove it (and have a certified copy).

Provided that the story matches and so do your fingerprints, it should not be an issue, although you may experience a 30 minute or a 1 hour delay while the authorities check out the facts.

But all in all, it is not unusual.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Удачи.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)
Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience: Private practice in several areas, including immigration